Friday, June 3, 2011

We (Read I) Survived.

Kayla and mommy (but really mostly mommy) survived our first accident.

Kayla has been rolling for a few weeks now, but just recently, maybe the last week or two, she has started scooting around on her belly.  She seriously loves tummy time and can tolerate being on her stomach for long periods.  Well this morning, she woke as she usually does talking to herself and her "Lambie" in the pack 'n play and straining to get out that big morning poop.  I was exhausted but decided I could probably take advantage of her being awake and happy and get in a few minutes of packing for our trip.  I picked her up and put her and Lambie on a towel in the dead center of our queen size bed.  She lay there and rolled a few times while I packed our bag to check on the bed right next to her.

When I was mostly packed, as much as I could be, I decided I could move the bag out of our room so that I could continue to pack while Kayla napped.  I grabbed the bag and rushed down the 7 stairs to place the bag in a spare room (I am usually rushing if I leave Kayla on her own to make the time I don't have my eyes on her as minimal as possible).  When I rushed up the stairs two at a time to get back, Kayla had clearly scooted herself to the edge of the bed.

As I ran walked through the doorway, she was mid fall.  Yes, I left my daughter for ten seconds and she flipped herself off the edge of the bed.  I have been replaying the scene in my head all day and here's what happened next...

Mommy: "Oh My God..Oh My God..Oh My God..Oh My God..Oh My God..." and on and on as I ran to her side and swiped her off my LuLuLemon bag (which she landed on) almost immediately as she hit the floor.  I literally don't think she was on the ground for more then .00001 seconds.  I hugged her and cuddled her while she cried.  Actually, she didn't even scream...just cried, some of those real tears that I hate, for about 1-2 minutes.  These couple minutes pretty much felt like an hour to me while I kept saying, "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry Kayla.  I'm the worst mom!  I'm so sorry!" Over, and over, and over, while I kissed her and hugged her and rubbed her back.

I was mostly worried that, although she pretty much somersaulted and landed on her back, that she was have some sort of brain injury from hitting her head falling off a queen size pillow top mattress (the PT in me I guess).  So I spent the rest of the morning scrutinizing every single thing she did to try to determine if she was acting abnormally.  She seemed totally fine with the whole situation.  I, however, am scarred for life.  She's my little champion.  And Justin so kindly told me that the "worst mom in the world" wouldn't have cried or picked her up, she would have just let her lay there on the floor and cry.  He's probably right, but if there is a mother that would do this out there, I don't want to meet her!

No comments:

Post a Comment