Friday, June 17, 2011

Sound Asleep

(On a side note, my last post was post #100...woot woot.  I have to admit, I love my blog.  I'm not the greatest writer or most creative person but I'm so glad I did this so I have a way to look back and remember!  And I'm thrilled that it strikes a cord with at least a few people. :) )

The definition of "sound asleep" (you didn't know there was one did you?...well there is always one of something on the internet!) is sleeping deeply.  I'm not sure I have ever known what this was like.  I get so frustrated at night because Justin is a sound sleeper...very sound.  And I think Kayla takes after me and is roused by little noises.  This combination leads to me being up at least 5-10 minutes before Justin is when Kayla cries in the middle of the night, which leads to me always being the one that is up to calm her or pick her up or change her.  I'd give anything for one night of "sound sleep."

I've been amazed at how little sleep I can function on and feel relatively well rested after since Kayla was born.  Granted, she also used to be a great sleeper for a newborn.  Well those days are gone in my almost 5 month old (what?!?).  However, I still feel ok in the mornings, especially if Kayla lets me sleep until 7 am.  Last week, when she was waking up every hour for a few nights in a row, was a different story.  It was the first time I felt like I was almost too tired to take care of her...like I could hardly stay awake.  We are still really struggling with sleeping overnight and with napping now, which I'm attributing to teething and this thrush not seeming to go away.  We are back to napping only 30-40 minutes which I can do nothing about, no matter how hard I try.

I would say I'm hoping it's the teething and we will get past it, but I'm beginning to realize there really is no such thing as more than a few nights in a row of good sleep or a normal "schedule" because inevitably something will come up that will throw them off, between teething, learning a new skill, being sick, growth spurts and who knows what else.  The good news is, no matter how little sleep I get, waking up to this breathes a whole lot of life into me:


And for your viewing pleasure, here's a little video I took of Kayla yesterday.  (I took a few good ones so I'll post them randomly.  It's hard to catch her giggling since she is so interested in looking at my phone when I bring it out but oh well.)


No comments:

Post a Comment