Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Loving time away?

This weekend we took our normal Memorial Day weekend trip down to North Carolina, north of the outer banks on a small island called Bells Island.  My in-laws have a trailer on the water and a bunch of friends.  Everyone is "camping."  Where camping means, sleeping in an air conditioned trailer with satellite t.v., a kitchen and bathroom with shower as well as spending the day sunning yourself and riding on sailboats and jetskiis...well usually, unless you are a new mom (or dad.)

We drove to the in-law's in VA Beach early Thursday morning when Kayla got up to eat at 4 am.  We left by 5 am and got there at around 8:15-8:30.  Kayla slept most of the way and wasn't too fussy until the end of the drive, so no stopping.  Point mommy and daddy.

When we arrived I fed her and put her down for a nap so Justin and I could run a few errands before heading down to the Island.  She slept for about an hour and a half or so (after SCREAMING when I tried to put her to nap on a bed) we ended up just setting up her pack n play so she could nap there.  Point Kayla. AND point mommy and daddy (she DID nap pretty well.)


Our friends little girl, Kayden.  She's SUPER adorable and just loves babies and was just so cute with Kayla!

When we got back, Justin's Dad had left work early so he was on his way home.  We weren't sure if we were leaving right away or not so we tried to pack up the cars in case.  We ended up leaving soon after my father-in-law got home and arrived at the island after a 45 minute drive or so.  Kayla slept most of the way and was relatively well behaved while we walked around and introduced her to some people, and saw some others for the first time since she was 4 weeks old.  Point mommy and daddy.

We started our bedtime routine, where she tried to eat the bowl that was housing the rice cereal.  She went to bed with a little bit more crying than normal, and the four of us got to go spend some time at the campfire.  Point mommy and daddy.




Kayla woke up screaming at around 2:30, when I finally gave in a fed her, then she proceeded to poop in a clean diaper I had just changed.  She also woke up again and pretty much for good at about 5:45 am.  Point Kayla.

My in-laws got to experience what I like to call "morning Kayla."  "Morning Kayla" is AWESOME!  She is the best, happiest, giggliest baby ever and she gives you the world's best smiles.  She is almost NEVER fussy.  While they spent time with Kayla, Justin and I got a little extra shut eye.  Point mommy and daddy.




Saturday, Kayla went down for 3 naps.  Nap 1: about an hour, worse than normal.  Slightly cranky in between first and second nap while laying outside in the shade.  Nap 2: 2 hours with large screaming fit in the middle that lasted about 30-40 minutes.  Slightly cranky again.  Nap 3: about an hour and a half.  Not normal napping and slightly crankier than normal.  Point Kayla.

Bedtime routine went as planned, but was later than normal Saturday night.  Kayla woke up at 2 am fussing and went back to sleep after about 10-15 minutes.  Woke up to eat at around 4 am, peed/pooped again and fell back asleep until 8:30 am.  Point mommy and daddy. (Is anyone keeping track?)

Sunday, Kayla took three naps again, the longest being about 50 min to an hour.  She was quite cranky and I spent most of the day going back and forth between the trailer and the water (actually I spent most of the weekend doing this.)  Point Kayla.


Ruffle Butts!!!!  Swoon...

We decided to take the trip back to the in-law's house for that night and leave early in the morning again.  Kayla did great with this.  Slept until 4 am and slept most of the way home again.  Point mommy and daddy.

Since then, she napped horribly yesterday, has been super fussy (as in literally screaming whenever awake) and had a hard time falling asleep.  Yesterday, I tried to put her down for a second nap around 1:30 pm...she screamed...and screamed...and screamed until I gave in.  We also tried to give her rice cereal with formula and formula from a bottle last night....she HATES formula.  She literally screamed every time she even attempted to swallow it.  2 points Kayla.

Today has been slightly better.  She is napping quite well and going down pretty easily with 5 min or less of crying, although the crying seems a lot worse to me...more than just fussing as before. Even though she is sleeping well, she is still super fussy while awake, pretty much the whole time she's awake.  This is really abnormal for her.  I'm just worried something is wrong with my baby... Point Kayla.  But also point mommy and daddy.



Point total:  Kayla 7, mommy and daddy 8...I can't believe we eked that one out. :)

Things I learned this weekend:

  • I'm am NOT that mother that enjoys taking a weekend trip where everyone else holds my baby and coos over my baby and plays with my baby.  I don't want a break from Kayla.  All I wanted this weekend was 15 minutes alone with her.  It's hard to not get that when you are used to it all the time.
  • I do not enjoy the island as much as a mom...at least not as a mom of a 4 month old.  When she is a little older I'm sure it will be better, but I didn't have as much fun as usual this weekend.  (And I know my in-laws read this blog and it wasn't their fault at all!!!  It was just hard for me.)
  • I have a significantly shortened fuse for almost everyone in my life since becoming a mom.  Small things regarding my baby irritate me and sometimes it's hard to hold my tongue.  Good thing I have a great relationship with my in-laws!
  • I never, ever, ever want to miss out on seeing "morning Kayla" ever again.  Good thing my job is one where I can work evenings.
*Photos compliments of my father-in-law since I didn't have the energy or desire to pull out my camera and I was too busy with the back and forth thing.

1 comment:

  1. I am gonna bet that she has been so fussy in between naps because she is exhausted! When we travel, even if AJ gets good naps in, the extra stimulation and activity wears her out so much!

    And I totally understand feeling like you have no time with her when you're with family. Its hard to go from 100% you and then having to share with everyone and their brother. The whole time I'm always just like, "please, just let me do it, we have a routine!" Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete