Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Letter to My Son on His First Birthday

Dear Brody,

Today marks the day we have survived our first year together, although the word survived doesn't seem to fit in your case.  I had so much fear before you were born.  Would I love you the same way I love Kayla?  Would you know I love you?  Would Kayla love you?  They all seem silly now. 



Of course I don't love you the same way I love Kayla.  You are different people.  And of course Kayla loves you, you are just SO easy to love.  From your simple and quick entry into the world, to our  nursing relationship, to your transition to solid foods, to each milestone you have achieved, life seems so simple with you.  

"Sons are the anchors of a mother's life."

You exude joy.  More joy that I think any other person I've met.  I feel that even though it seems that you get the short end of the stick a lot, you still flash that amazing dimple-y smile that melts my heart and cheer me up on my very lowest days.  We have had an indescribable bond since the very second you were born, and probably before.  

Friday's child is loving and giving.

It's not to say you don't want or need things, but you really give a whole lot of love to our family and the people you meet.  Kayla taught me what true unconditional love is, but you have taught me something different and equally as important.  You have taught me the amazing capability of the human heart to love.  Just when I thought there was no room left in my heart to love anyone more than the people I already had, I was trying to figure out how I would "split" my love.  Little did I know that the heart has an AMAZING capacity to grow and love.  Now only that, but how it can love in completely different ways, but completely equally.

"There is an enduring tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart."

Thank you for being not so great of a sleeper.  I got so much extra special time to spend with just you and me in our busy lives.  Yes it was hard.  But it was worth it.  Thank you for teaching me that life is all about joy and how much you can squeeze out of the simple things.   Thank you for bringing so much joy to your sister and for making it so easy for her to love you.  Thank you for loving her as much as I do (I can tell you do and I'm going to have to remind you later in life.)

I thank God every day for bringing me you and will continue to thank Him for the rest of my life.  

"Son, you will outgrow my lap, but never my heart."

 photo BrodysFirstYear.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment