Saturday, December 24, 2011

11 Month Update

I almost have a one year old.

Yeah, take a second and let that sink in.

Need more time? No?  Ok.  On to the update.  I honestly cannot believe how skilled Kayla is on her feet.  She pivots and runs and balances on one foot (usually accidentally and only for a few seconds, but I'm still very impressed.)  She loves to feed herself, especially bananas.  There are some days where that is all she wants to eat.  I try to remind myself her main nutrition is still coming from nursing and bottles and to try not to get too frustrated that all she wants to eat is bananas.

The sign language I was trying to teach her at 6 months is coming out of the woodwork like wildfire this month.  She hasn't yet said any "real" words but she sure has a lot to say.  She babbles all. the. time.  It's funny because if I babble back, it's like we are having a conversation.  She has inflection in her voice and intonation.  I really believe she understands so much more than she can express, which is why she is LOVING the sign language!  She consistently uses eat, more and all done.  she also knows milk, and we made up our own special sign for "sleepy."  She also understands that people come and go from the door and often walks towards it waving.  I'm looking forward to her first real words but for now, the babble is really fun!  There have been inklings of words ('nana'...not like grandma, like banana, and others) but nothing concrete yet.

She also has learned this awesome high pitched squeal.  I know what you are thinking, "Awesome? Really?"  But it really is so great, she gets this look on her face like she is so excited she can't stand it, all her muscles tense up and she lets out this little squeal of joy!  She now has 7 teeth, she got 5 in about 1.5 weeks around Thanksgiving, and sleeping was horrible, but such is life.

She consistently gives hugs and kisses (usually French ones.)  Honestly, I'm not sure what I did to deserve such a great baby.  Sure, she wasn't a great sleeper and still sometimes isn't, she gets fussy sometimes.  But the large majority of the time, she is a joy to be around.  She laughs at the silliest things and it totally makes me laugh, which consequently make her laugh harder.  She makes this "ahhhmmm" sounds when she puts food in her mouth, like she's anticipating how great it's going to taste.  I love that we get to share some giggles when I get home from work just in time to put her to bed.

Sometimes, I don't feel like I'm old enough to have an almost 1 year old.  Sometimes, I feel like I'm still in my early/mid twenties and looking forward to going out with friends on the weekends.  I can't tell you the last time I had some drinks with friends.  But what I can tell you is when I am out, all I want to do is go home and say goodnight to Kayla before she's asleep for the night.  I can tell you that our life may not be the same kind of exciting anymore, but I love every second of it.

Here are some monthly photos I took this morning (yes I promised you and I'm following through. I took, edited and posted all this morning!)  These monthly photos are getting significantly harder to take, but I think I've jazzed up some of mine today with these awesome free actions I downloaded from the Internet.

I usually have to give Kayla something to play with for the photos...

Photobucket

Photobucket

I sometimes manage to snap a maybe not so great photo, but one with a great expression:

Photobucket

I manage to snap a few each month that really show off her monthly sticker (before she tries to pull it off)...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sometimes I'm lucky enough to have someone else there who can make her smile come out...

Photobucket

Photobucket
Socks are fun toys.
Photobucket

Photobucket

I get some really great ones I just have to edit, even though you can even see the inkling of a sticker.

Photobucket

And I get some I just really like and want to try out my new actions on.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Today was especially hard, since there are 8 adults, 1 baby and 3 dogs in the house, and Kayla isn't too sure about the dogs:

Photobucket

And in some, she has such a great smile, I can't pass them up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Peek-a-boo
Photobucket
<3
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And some may be considered outtakes, or trash to others due to the lack of focus on what I wanted, but I only got one precious picture and I can't delete it.

Photobucket

I sure do love her...

Photobucket

And she sure does love them... (sometimes from a distance.)
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. She has one of the best smiles, Melissa! I love when her cheeks smoosh up and her eyes do that half-moon thing! Its adorable! :D
    (ps, this is Cassie!)

    ReplyDelete