Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sleep and Schedules

I keep hearing from everyone, 4 months, you get a new baby.  Everything changes.  Unless this happens overnight, this is NOT happening with Kayla.  We are regressing, significantly...

We are now lucky if we get 3 straight hours of sleep at night, and we are also lucky if she just goes back to sleep on her own.  A month ago she was sleeping 4-5 hours a night at least and going right back to sleep after eating.  I would try to show you her "schedule" here but honestly, I can't even make one up that's even similar to what happens with us.  The ONLY things that are consistent are usually a 7-7:30 am wake up (but even this isn't always true because if she wakes up at 5 or 6 to eat she sleeps until 8 or 8:30)  and anywhere from 9 -10 nap.  Now this nap pretty much dictates the rest of the day because it can be anywhere from 30 minutes to one hour and 45 minutes.  So here is a sort of schedule:

7:00-7:30 Nurse, play, smile, be the best baby ever

9-10 Nap anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hr 45 minutes

10:15 (or 10:45 or 11:00 or 11:30) wake up, nurse and play some more, or just cry because she's still tired and won't go back to sleep

11:30 (or 12:00 or 12:30 or 1:00) Nap (usually for 30-40 minutes because I refuse to nap any longer)

Sometime in the early afternoon: Nurse, play, fuss/cry

Sometime between 2 pm and 3:30 pm: Nap for another 30-45 minutes

Sometime around 3 or 4: Nurse, play

Sometimes between 4:30 and 5:30: take a 30 minute nap.

5:30-7:30 Nurse, be awake and start to get increasingly and inconsolably fussy before we feed one last time around 7:30 or 8:00 and start our bedtime routine (which is pretty limited to saying goodnight, 1/2 swaddling and rocking/sucking to sleep.)

Often she wakes up an hour after going to bed, and then it's anybody's guess when she'll be up first, usually between 11 and 1 and then about every 2-3 hours after that.

I literally am losing my mind.  I feel like the worst mom ever and she cries tears way too often for my liking.  We have tried adjusting her bedtime.  We are using the 1/2 swaddle because I really don't believe the full swaddle is helping us anymore.  I still think very much so that she is teething.  She has rolled from tummy to back and back to tummy (almost) this week.  She rolls onto her stomach in the pack n play.  We tried adding a little bit of rice cereal to a bottle last night.  I've tried talking to my mom and my friends and I've read a couple of books and researched online.  I feel SO hopeless.  I feel hopeless for us getting sleep but more so I feel hopeless that I'll never be able to make her my sweet happy baby I see in the morning all the time because she refuses to sleep no matter what I do.  Most of my frustration is not because I'm tired (although I am and that doesn't help me be a calm, soothing mommy), but because I want her to be happy and healthy and feel safe and secure with me and Justin.  If I had to wake up every 3 hours to calm her down or feed her or whatever I wouldn't care as long as she was happy during the day.

I also want to put up her crib and move her to it...I'm just saying...

2 comments:

  1. New baby? Yeah right... I was told the same thing and it didn't happen. Seriously, I've been where you are, felt the exact the same way, and completely and totally hit rock bottom emotionally. I know I've never met you but seriously, if you need someone to talk to that totally understands, please email me! laurenksanders@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! I know it is so hard. Try full swaddling again. I think that helps Penny a little. We need to get some bigger swaddles–I've heard that can help. Also white noise and blackout shades. Have you read The No-Cry Sleep Solution? Try a 10-day plan? Breathe. Will she nurse to sleep? Will she sleep in the stroller or carseat? M. Weissbluth says the rice cereal will not help, and I've heard that starting solids before 6 mos can cause food allergies.

    ReplyDelete