Monday, May 23, 2011

MD Update

We had Kayla's 4 month doctor's check up today.  Let's just say, I understand why people always brag about their children now.  I'm so proud of how far she has come, and really, how far we have come as a family.

The nurse always does all the measurements first so without further ado, here they are:

Length: 25 inches (about the 70th percentile)
Weight: 13 pounds 5 ounces (about the 30th percentile)
Head Circumference: 16 1/4 inches (above the 50th percentile, I think she said around the 70th?)

Basically, she is taking after her dad in the head size area.  The nurse said she just has lots of brains, Justin said that's from me.  :)

When the nurse practitioner (if you recall, her name is Theresa) came in we talked a lot about feeding and sleep.  Basically, she said it was fine if we wanted to give her some rice cereal.  We should start with once a day and the go to two if she seems to like it.  We also need to try more cereal with less milk and try to feed it to her on a spoon.  So we will probably start trying that.  Also, she said we could maybe start some fruits/veggies around 5 or 5.5 months (squash or something else that I can't remember were her suggestions.)

As for sleeping, this is one point of serious pride for me and Justin.  We've worked really hard the past week and a half on promoting her independence and falling asleep on her own and our efforts are really paying off.  Our only question was if we should still be waking up at night to feed her.  She said some babies do still need to wake up but we should try a "dream feed" when I go to bed around 9 or 10 and hopefully she would sleep until 6 am without waking.  So this is step number 2 (after the rice cereal).

Once again, Theresa said that Kayla looks great, was so impressed with her strength and Kayla even showed off her rolling skills, while no of us were paying attention.  Don't worry, nothing happened.  I tried to have a talk with her before the appointment saying she wasn't allowed to do that, but when has she listened to me before??  Theresa also said that she wouldn't be surprised at all if Kayla was sitting up on her own at or before her 6 month visit based on what she is doing now.  Wait a minute, can we just take this one day at a time...the days go by too fast as my little girls keeps growing!

The only thing that came up was that it seems that Kayla and I have a little bit of thrush.  It might explain my increased soreness and Kayla's fussiness the past couple days so hopefully the medications will help with that.  I couldn't really expect to go for four months without one little issue with her could I?

Basically, she's the best baby ever.  Theresa didn't say that in so many words, but that's how I interpreted it!

Thanks to my new friend, Lauren, for showing me what I can do with editing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment