Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bittersweet Weekend

So, Kayla has been doing pretty well on our new sleep training.  At night, she usually only cries for less than 10 minutes until she falls asleep.  We've had 1 or 2 rough nights after rough days, but they haven't been so bad.  Last night was night #4 on the program.  I had decided she didn't really need or like the rice cereal over the week, but I decided yesterday to maybe try it again.  I was alone with her all day yesterday since Justin played volleyball.  She took 2 one hour naps and one VERY long 2 hour and 20 min nap in the middle of the day.  I started our 30 minute bedtime routine at about 6:30 and gave her the small amount of rice cereal mixed with 2 oz of breastmilk along with 3 more oz of breastmilk.  She cried for about 12 min, fell asleep for a few minutes and cried for about 5 more minutes before falling asleep.  This sounds like more crying than normal but it was actually great because I didn't have to go up and calm her down or soothe her...she did that on her own!  And she slept without 1 whimper until 2:10 am.  This is a HUGE step because she's always crying about an hour after we put her down and we often have to soothe her back to sleep at least once before midnight.  I love progress, it makes my patience and her crying worth it!

The reason the weekend was bittersweet is that on Saturday night, Kayla actually slept quite well and woke up at about 1-1:30 am to eat.  After she ate, I put her back in the pack n play and back to dreamland she went.  While she did that, I tried to figure out why I was super dizzy and nauseous.  I then proceeded to pray to the porcelain gods for the first time (not due to alcohol) in I don't even know how long.  It was horrible.  I think I got food poisoning from something I ate on Saturday.  Needless to say, being sick in the middle of the night when you infant is actually SLEEPING sucks pretty badly.

We are both doing great today though, and Aunt Meg comes home from her very long time away.  Mommy is pretty freaking excited she doesn't have to walk Samson anymore.  Also, Dirty Diaper Laundry is having a "flats and handwashing challenge" for cloth diapering moms and for moms who are on a tight budget as an example of how you can cloth diaper for little money even without a washer/dryer.  I'd love to participate, but I don't actually have any flats.  Flats are basically old school cloth diapers.  It sounds horrible I'm sure to some of my older readers who used these, but since I have been trying to learn all I can about cloth diapering and I'm slightly obsessed (much to the dismay of my husband and our pocketbook), I've been reading up on flats.  I totally want to try them with some covers (new and ones that I have) but we don't really have the money to buy more diapers right now.  Lots of moms like them a lot because they are soft, easy to wash and quick drying and you can use them in many ways, like stuffing your pocket diapers, as an insert in covers and you can fold them like a kite or origami and use a pin or a snappi like "old school" diapers.  Oh to have money right now...

Lastly, if you are a mom, or are interested in blogging/mom bloggers...you seriously need to check out Kelle Hampton.  She writes the most inspiring posts, shares some photography skills and inspiration, and always is showing me websites and cool things I can buy (I have a problem).  I have her blog linked on the right side of my page but check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment