Sunday, August 29, 2010

20 Week Ultrasound!

So on Friday, we had our 18-20 week ultrasound as well as my monthly doctor's appointment.

The ultrasound was so exciting!  I could tell Justin was excited by the constant ooh-ing and aah-ing he was doing while the technician told us everything we could see.  Going into this US, I was really excited but also really nervous that something was going to be wrong; maybe it was because of the more frequent cramping feelings I've been having.  So, we go in and the tech asked us if we wanted to find out the sex.  We told her no, and joked about finding out and then keeping it a secret from all our family and friends!  She showed us everything, from the chambers in the heart, all the arm and leg bones, the kidneys, hands, feet and even the portal vein (which takes blood to the liver).  I was amazed at how much you could see.  Our little one, as in our first ultrasound, wasn't too cooperative, and wasn't moving all that much during the test.  He/she had his/her legs crossed the whole time and a hand in front of his/her face.  We got a few 3D images of Baby's face (which Justin says looks like an alien but he/she just hasn't gotten all the baby fat yet- that's at the end.)  When it came time to look for the sex, the technician warned us and then turned the screen a little bit away.

Turns out, baby was really shy (hand in front of the face) and didn't even want to show the tech his/her privates!  Good baby...  Anyways, so sorry for all you friends and family who have been bugging us about our decision not to find out...seems we wouldn't have found out anyways!  So the tech tells me to wipe myself up and get our things together.  Then about 5 minutes later, she came back with an older (obviously supervisor) type lady.  In my head I'm thinking, "Oh no, something is wrong.  I knew it."  But I didn't say anything because Justin seemed to be ok with it.  The supervisor lady said they needed some more/better pictures of Baby's heart.  She also tried to see the sex, but no such luck.  They didn't tell us anything was wrong, but later the next day, Justin mentioned it really freaked him out too, so now I'm a little paranoid that something was wrong.  But one of our mom friends (thanks Miranda) assured me they would have told me right then and there.

If I wasn't already worried enough, I then proceeded onto the doctors appointment alone.  Normally, these appointments seem useless to me.  I go in, the nurse takes my weight, blood pressure and I pee in a cup.  Then about 5 minutes (no more) later the doctor or midwife comes in and asks me if I have any questions and listens to the baby's heartbeat.  Well all the normal nurse-ly things took place, but then I waited 45-50 minutes sitting in the room for the doctor!  I was freaking out.  I was sure that the US people had faxed over a quick report and he was reading it and preparing to tell me some bad news.  He finally came it and listened to the heartbeat, measure my belly and checked my ankles for swelling.  He never mentioned anything might be wrong, so I'm a little relieved, but at the same time still kinda worried and weirded out about the odd sequence of events on Friday.

For now, I guess it's ok and I'll try to stop worrying.  Here of some pictures of our cutie!

He/she has my nose we decided, and Justin and Aunt Meg were able to feel the baby moving (finally) on Friday night!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, they would have told you right then if there was something wrong. Even if they just suspected something, they would have explained everything before they got more pictures.

    Don't worry about it, you'll just make yourself crazy!

    ReplyDelete