Tuesday, January 31, 2012

First Birthday Party

I feel like somewhat of a failure as a mom when it came to Kayla's first birthday party.  The first birthday gets built up as the whole big thing and I just didn't have time to do anything.  Literally everyone else did most of the work for the party.

My sister made the invitations...which were stinking adorable and a really great start to the theme we picked.  Just with moving and everything I didn't know how to find time to make decorations and plan a menu and get a cake.  My Mom made a really great cake with a little extra piece for Kayla.  My mother-in-law did practically all the cooking.  So thank you to the amazing family I have for pulling something out.

So it wasn't this dream party that I had in mind.  But I realized that it doesn't really matter, because my whole family was together and I got to see a few really great friends and their babies (and babies on the way).  Kayla had so much fun and loved every present she received from our so very generous friends and family.  She wasn't all that interested in the cake (honestly, I'm not that surprised because she's never really been all that interested in eating; she'd rather play.)  It was just a generally all around great time (minus my grandpa getting a little overheated in our apartment.)

I think the biggest fail for me is that, despite my new found love of photography, I never manage to snap pictures at the most important times.  I'm more of a candid photo snapper.  When all my friends and family are there I was to talk and mingle and laugh with them.  I don't want to be behind the camera.  Does this mean I can't be a photographer? :)

Here are some photos my father-in-law snapped with his new even higher tech camera.  I took some cute ones of Kayla on her actual birthday I will upload soon as well.  (I also need to take her 12 month photos, then I'm out of monthly stickers!)

I can't believe my baby is already 1 year (and a week!)

The cake my mom made!  I kinda like that it's off kilter.  It's abstract art.

Aunt Megan got me a tutu (I missed her at my party a lot) because "All pretty girls deserve a tutu."

See how happy she is!

Opening presents was a little better than Christmas.

I got 2 new chairs!  My football lounging chair from Aunt Lauren and Kevin.

And my very own rocking chair from my Great Nanny and Gramps.

Mom's friend Aunt Katie gets me the very best gifts!  (She gave me Lambie.)  How cute is this hat!

This is me trying to get her interested in the cake.  She put her face down in the frosting once.

Some other photos from my birthday weekend.

Modeling my tutu over my PJs.

Using my teeth in new ways.

I don't think any kid loves bath time as much as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment