Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2 for 2 Fund

Most people that know me know that I'm a little bit of a softy.  I cry at most weddings (except my own for some reason...I guess I was just so happy.)  I cry during mushy movies a lot.  I just have a soft spot for people in general.  I also think that everyone deserves to be happy in life.

When I started blogging, I found a few "mommy blogs" through a discussion board, one of which was Enjoying the Small Things.  This blog is written my a mommy photographer named Kelle Hampton.  She takes beautiful photos of her two adorable daughters, Lainey and Nella.  She is a beautiful writer and has a book coming out in the spring.  (I can't wait to buy it.)  I honestly read a lot of blogs, funny, witty, informative, etc.  By far, hers is my favorite.  I love the funny ones and I love the informative ones, but hers is a combination of everything good.  It really makes me stop and think about what I want from life and what is important.  She makes me stop and "enjoy the small things."  (It's a perfect title for her blog.)

I first read her birth story post about her daughter, Nella, who was born with Down Syndrome and they didn't know this beforehand, so it was a surprise.  I was hooked from day 1.  Imagine my surprise when I found out that Nella was born on the 22nd of January in 2010.  (In case you don't see the connection this is Kayla's birthday, except Kayla was born last year, obviously.)  For some reason, I just feel a draw to Kelle and her kids.  I feel some sort of connection and I appreciate that she so eloquently writes about the things that I wish I could express.

For Nella's birthday this year (just like she did last year), she is collecting donations for the National Down Syndrome Society.  Her post about her donation page just really moved me (as do most of her posts) and she is right.  Everyone deserves to have every opportunity in life to do everything they wish, no matter how many chromosomes they have.

Please take a moment to read at least this blog post, about her 2 for 2 Fund.  (I personally believe you will be a better person if you read her blog regularly, but just this post will do for now.)  And please, please, please take a moment to donate $5 or $10, or more if you are feeling generous.  For anyone that reads this blog that has been asking me what Kayla wants/needs for her birthday, I'll ask you to go to this site and donate to the NDSS.  Kayla has everything she needs.  Everyone with Down Syndrome deserves to have that luxury as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment