Monday, July 18, 2011

Check off #33

Yesterday was Aunt Meg's 29th birthday...what?!?!  I kept telling her that it's her last hoorah before 30.  I came up with, what I think is a pretty great gift idea for her from my sister, mom, grandma and I.  You can read about it here.  Then she told me she wanted to go see Harry Potter 7.2.  We had seen 7.1 around my birthday so it just seemed fitting.  She wanted to see it in IMAX 3D.

I'm glad because it can check something off my 101 list, but I'm not gonna lie, I was kinda scared.  I've been to an IMAX movie.  Justin and I went to see Eagle Eye, and all I can remember is turning to him and saying, "Holy **** the screen is huge!" and "Is it just me, or is this REALLY loud?"  Does that make me old?  Well either way, I'd heard that the 3D can make some people feel a little woozy (spelling?) and I was a little worried.

We planned to go to the 9 am showing at an AMC (a great deal of $12 instead of the whopping $16.50- seriously I used to love the movies...)  We bought tickets ahead of time but didn't think it would be that crowded.  This is what we pulled up to:


Yes, you are correct.  That is people waiting in line to get in the door at 9 am.  Part of this was because they opened the doors late, therefore they started the movie late to accommodate everyone.  Well then we were worried about seating and rightfully so.  We ended up in the second row off to the side when I turned to Meg and said, "At this point, I think I'd rather be front and center than off to the side." (A decision I think we probably were glad for later.)  So front and center we were...no less excited.


Well, the movie was great.  I'm surprised at how much I remember from the books.  I actually kinda liked the 3D (unlike Megan) and the only complaint I had was my neck hurt from sitting in the very front row.  And I'm sad the movies/books are over.  I think I would see another movie in 3D, it would have to be a particular kind of movie though, nothing with things coming out the screen at me or too much motion.  

The one thing though, since I'm an analytical person, I couldn't figure out why every time I tilted my head slightly to either side, the whole picture became blurry.  The edges were a little blurry (which made me think about aperture and depth of field in photography) but everything got blurry if I tilted my head.  Which led me on this trail of thought at the beginning of the movie:
1. Why the heck would that happen when I tilt my head?
2. Damnit, now I can't move my head in either direction.  I have to stay perfectly still with my neck craned backward.
3. I can't believe people have 3D TVs and sit in their own homes with these stupid glasses on just to watch TV.
4. Wait...why can't TV companies just add a piece of glass or whatever at the front of the TV screen made of whatever these dumb glasses are made of so people don't have to look like idiots in their own homes just watching TV?
5.  Seriously Melissa, watch the movie you just paid $12 for (on sale.)

Now, I really want to read the books again.
And I need to make a "piggy bank" so I can save the $40 from my 2 completed tasks.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't they have the Harry Potter 3D glasses at that theatre? I got them when I went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got them at the theater too...

    ReplyDelete