Thursday, July 14, 2011

3 generations later...

I've always felt so blessed to have all four of my grandparents.  I'm not sure if I mentioned this before but the only time I teared up at our wedding was during the "anniversary dance."  For those unfamiliar, this is when the DJ asks all the married couples to come to the dance floor and gradually tells people to continue dancing if they have been married for X number of years, otherwise take a seat.  We specifically did this because I knew my paternal grandparents had been married the longest out of all of our guests, and their anniversary is the day after ours, so for ME it was sort of a formality and nice way to show my love for my grandparents.

Little did I know that all of the married couples had sat down at around 35-40 years, except for BOTH sets of my grandparents, who continued dancing as the DJ called out, "40 years?...45 years...50 years..."

My paternal grandparents in the foreground, and my maternal grandparents in the background

And then something happened that is one moment I will never forget.  All of our fabulous guests rose to their feet, clapping for my 4 grandparents.  I remember so clearly turning to Justin with tears in my eyes, saying, "See, I have good genes!"  And I do.  Very good.




I know I've said how much I love seeing my family members interact with Kayla.  I've always been close with my Nanny.  I spent 3 of 4 spring breaks from college with her in Florida.  Two of those, it was just me and her.  So when we went to the park the day before the fourth of July, and my sisters, brother, aunt and cousin all made their way to the big kid swings, I quietly walked away from Nanny pushing Kayla to take some photos of the big kid swingers.  When I turned back, I snapped some very heart warming photos of my grandma and my daughter.  I love seeing the joy on her face to be spending time with her great granddaughter!

I desaturated the color a bit to make it look a little "old school" and added a lens vignette (aside from my normal white balance, exposure, contrast and sharpening edits)

1 comment:

  1. That was a great dance. You are doing very good with the camera. Guess I better get on the stick.

    ReplyDelete