Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Happy 2 Month Birthday Kayla Marie!

We had Kayla's 2 month doctor's appointment yesterday, all the way in Virginia!  Here's a little recap:

Length: 23 inches

Weight: 10 lbs 9 oz

Head: 15.5 inches

The nurse practitioner seemed very impressed with her weight gain seeing as she is a solely breastfed baby.  She is still smaller on the weight side but consistent and growing so they aren't concerned.  And she is still very long, and one nurse said she looks long waisted - although I'm not surprised considering me and my sisters!  I told the nurse that really the only question I had was about sleeping, as Kayla doesn't seem to be a really great sleeper, especially during the day.  The NP went on to answer, and everything she said was EXACTLY describing Kayla, which I thought was amazing because I was afraid she was abnormal but turns out everything she is doing seems to be pretty typical of 2 month olds.  Some examples of these things are really short spurts of naps during the day, a little bit fussy while awake, likes to fall asleep on you, still waking up to feed in the middle of the night, and not really on a schedule yet.

Then she checked Kayla out, and yet again is SO impressed with her strength.  She put her on her stomach and Kayla immediately proper up on her elbows and lifted her head.  Theresa (the NP) said I should put toys in front of her while on her tummy so she can look up at them.  I guess I need to go get some toys!  They weren't really high up on my list of necessities immediately, but I'm excited to need them now!  So suggestions are welcome!  She said Kayla looked great and everything seems to be going very well!  And then came the dagger to the heart...

2 month shots.  I knew it was going to be difficult for me, but it was even worse.  She got a vaccine by mouth first and that was ok.  Then she needed two shots, one in each thigh.  The first one went it and she screamed (like I've heard before).  After about 2 seconds, she got silent.  Not silent like she was ok with it, silent like she was crying so hard she couldn't breathe.  Then after a few seconds of silence, out came a high pitched scream I have never heard her make.  The nurse was great and it went quickly, but it's a shot to the heart to watch your little one like that.  Dad comforted her a little bit and then I nursed her a bit to comfort her.  I've never not wanted to put her down so badly.  Needless to say, she was a champ and slept the whole way home and through a trip to the store for infant tylenol incase she spiked a fever.

Other notable 2 month achievements:
  • Bye, bye baby acne!
  • I fit into some 3-6 month outfits
  • I easily fall asleep on Mom's shoulder and sometimes in my swing/on my activity mat
  • Often times at bed time, I wake up after mom or dad puts me down but I can almost always put myself to sleep
  • Congestion is significantly less
  • Some days, I hardly spit up at all! (except literally all over mom twice at the doctors)

No comments:

Post a Comment