Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Dad's first post...

So I'm going to be a dad. Lot's of things have been going through my mind recently: names, finances, sleep (anyone who knows me knows how much I love to sleep and how lazy I can be - not anymore!), and most importantly the health of the two most important people in my life - my wife and my baby.

Names - we kinda have a name picked out if it's a boy. For some reason we haven't really spent much time on girl's names. I'm beginning to think we shouldn't have to name this child until we know what he or she is like. If you give it a name that doesn't match their personality, how is it going to navigate through life?

Finances - I'm in this kind of stuff for my profession, and I know what to tell people to do, but it's hard to take that advice and apply it to yourself. From diapers to daycare, this baby is going to have to have things to live and it's up to us to support it. I'm excited to have a kid of my own, but the thought of someone being 100% reliable on me to survive is life altering.

Sleep - I love to sleep. On the couch, on the floor, and if I'm bored, sleep is something that I enjoy. Probably slept a little bit too much in college, but that's for another time... I hope that I can get enough sleep to function and not be a cranky slob at work and at home. I also hope that my baby loves to sleep as much as I do so we can nap when I'm not at work.

Health - Nothing is more important to me than the health of my baby and my wife. So far so good. A lot of people have asked me what I want to have, and I always reply "10 fingers and 10 toes". Gender doesn't matter, neither does size, hair color, eye color or when it comes. Just healthy - that's it.

I am excited to see what the next few months will bring. I am excited to see what Melissa and I have created. Most of all, I'm excited to be a parent.

2 comments:

  1. Coolest future UncleSeptember 8, 2010 at 6:16 PM

    Those are some beautiful words you put together

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a super cute post! Also, all of the things you've been worrying about are completely normal and will seem inconsequential once you hold that little bundle in your arms!

    ReplyDelete