Monday, March 4, 2013

Firemen

I was all set to post today about some of our favorite recipes we have made since we (I) started weight watchers, or to post about moms and selfishness (oxymoron), but instead, I thought I'd tell you about the crazy day I had and post some more awesome photos by Jordann Tomasek Photography...

So, I know this is going to jinx it (but frankly, I'm not hoping it will happen again anyways), but Brody slept through the night last night.  Not that 8 hours crap that "sleep experts" (whoever they are) call sleeping through the night.  Like actually from 6:30 until 6 am without waking once.  We've tried EVERYTHING under the sun to get this kid to sleep, literally.  If you recall, I read every sleep book on the market with Kayla.  Nothing worked with Brody.  Nothing even made the slightest dent towards longer sleep stretches.  He would wake up every 2 hours or so after 1 am (sometimes earlier).  Every night.  No matter what.

So last week, I decided to try dream feeding and to give it an entire week before giving up and marking it a failure as well.  5 days made no difference.  2 nights ago, we decided to move Brody's bedtime up 30 minutes (like earlier, because despite common sense, sleep books will all tell you to move bedtime earlier if you want them to sleep later/longer.)  He was starting to become unbearably fussy between the hours of 4 and 6 pm.  So last night, something must have clicked.  Or maybe Justin and I are so exhausted that we didn't hear him screaming (unlikely).  No matter, he slept awesome.

So today, with renewed energy, I took the kids to work for a visit after Brody's first nap of the day.  On our way home, Brody was kinda fussy and starting to fade fast.  Even though he was likely asleep for a bit, I decided to try to transfer him from the car seat to the crib so he would get a better nap in.  Miraculously, this worked like a charm.  So I made Kayla and I lunch prior to her nap time.

Fast forward 20-25 minutes and the fire alarm starts going off in our condo building.  WTF.  You are kidding me right??  So, a little flustered (and in shorts and a t-shirt), I run to check on Brody.  Still passed the eff out.  Seriously.  I run back to the living area and Kayla is just looking at me wide eyed, while the alarms are blaring...bleep...bleep...BLEEP...BLEEEEEEPPP.  So I decide to look out into the hallway to determine the best course of action.  Because when you are a mom, you realize that if there isn't a fire, waking the baby is really non negotiable.

No one in the hallway, but I can smell some smoke...almost like someone burned some food.  I run back to check on Brody...still sleeping.  Check on Kayla...still confused.  Check the hallway again, two ladies are out asking what is going on and it seems they both decide to evacuate.  Well damn, do I really have to wake up Brody.

Go back inside, Kayla is now crying because she is scared shitless.  I get her out of the booster seat, tell her it's going to be ok and I need her to put on her shoes as I run to get Brody.  She screams and follows after me.

I tell her it's ok again and I help her put on her shirt (yes she took it off), I throw on my jeans and shoes and get her rain boots on her.  I check the hallway again to see if there is any progression of smoke or smell or anything.  None.

Honestly, my mind is very torn at this point.  Waking up the baby who is finally sleeping better seems like it needs to be a last resort.  But being a mom, I decide that I should probably evacuate with my kids because otherwise Justin will be pissed if he loses his wife and kids because I wanted the baby to keep sleeping better safe than sorry.  So I tell Kayla to grab her blanket while I get Brody and his blanket to keep him warm outside.  I sweep Kayla up into my arms, grab my purse, keys and phone and run down the stairs to get outside.

Five seconds after I get outside where there are a bunch of trunks and firemen and residents all over, one fireman says, "Ok you can all go back inside now if you want."

Me, "SERIOUSLY!?!?!"  One lady laughed at me because I said that out loud.  I chatted for a minute with another mom who said there was definitely smoke on the 3rd floor in the hallways.  I ran back upstairs and put Kayla down (she was still whimpering) and ran to put Brody back down in his crib in hopes he would go back to sleep.

Meanwhile, Kayla says to me, "Kayla sleep too."  Um...ok.  You don't have to twist my arm.  So after potty time, books and signing, Kayla is asleep, Brody has miraculously fallen BACK asleep and I'm free to eat lunch and enjoy some quiet time.  But not before Kayla made sure I knew the situation was "scary" a million times.

Definitely a weird last 24 hours...

 photo Hales-202.jpg

 photo Hales-2052.jpg

 photo Hales-207.jpg

 photo Hales-2093.jpg

 photo Hales-2113.jpg

 photo Hales-214.jpg

 photo Hales-2172.jpg

 photo Hales-2182.jpg

 photo Hales-219.jpg

 photo Hales-2233.jpg

 photo Hales-225.jpg

 photo Hales-228.jpg

 photo image.jpeg

 photo Hales-235.jpg

 photo Hales-2362.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment