Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Christmas Light Bokeh

For my many non-photography readers, bokeh is "the visual quality of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image, esp. as rendered by a particular lens."  In other words, is that great blur in the background, or the areas not in focus.  Christmas time is a great time to utilize pretty lights in the background to create a lovely backdrop for your subjects (my subjects are Kayla and Brody obviously.) :)

So after having a pretty crappy Christmas Eve and Christmas, I realized I didn't take any pictures of my kiddos on Brody's first Christmas.  Therefore I spent the next day or two making up for it, and practicing my photo skills.  The lighting and white balance isn't quite right in the photos, but they are 
alright.  I'm still learning. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I shouldn't have put them as far away from the tree as I did.  I think if they were closer to the tree, I would still get that cool blurry lights effect, but it would fill more of the background.  You only have so much time to play with an infant and a toddler. :)

Then while they napped, I learned how to create my own custom-shaped bokeh.  It was so cool, and I was pretty excited to try to make custom shapes behind my kiddos when they woke up.


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

So when they woke up, I tried to get pictures of them with the custom letters behind them...


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Overall, I was excited to learn and try something new.  I obviously still have a lot to learn, but it was fun.  And here are a couple outtakes that make me laugh.


Photobucket
Photobucket
Brody was crying so Kayla was shushing him (hence the mouth) and trying to calm him down.  I can't help but laugh at this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment