Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday to the Doctor

You know the one...Dr. Suess!

Yes, today is Dr. Suess' birthday and the day that the movie "The Lorax" starts in theaters.

Anyone that knows me knows I love to read, therefore I love to read to Kayla.  (I can't say the same thing for her though.  I'm not sure she is interested in sitting still for long enough to read a whole kids book.)  I have a whole slew of Dr. Suess books and they are some of my favorites to ready.  They have new words, fun rhyming and some really great messages:

"Think left and think right think low and think high.  Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try."
-Oh, The Thinks You Can Think


"When you think things are bad, when you feel sour and blue, when you start to get mad...you should do what I do!  Just tell yourself, Duckie, you're really quite lucky!  Some people are much more...oh, ever so much more...oh, muchly much-much more unlucky than you!"
-Did I Ever Tell You How Lucky You Are?


"That was long, long ago.  But each day since that day I've sat here and worried and worried away.  Through the years while my buildings have fallen apart, I've worried about it with all of my heart.


'But now,' says the Onceler, 'Now that you're here, the word of the Lorax seem perfectly clear.  UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It's not.'"
-The Lorax


And my favorite:
"On and on you will hike.  And I know you'll hike far and face up to your problems whatever they are.


You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already know.  You'll get mixed up with many strange birds as you go.  So be sure when you step.  Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balance Act.  Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.  And never mix up your right foot with your left."
-Oh, the Places You'll Go


My Dr. Suess wish list:

  1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
  2. Horton Hears a Who!
  3. Yertle the Turtle
  4. You're Only Old Once!
  5. There's a Wocket in my Pocket
  6. The Sneetches 
  7. Hunches in Bunches
  8. Fox in Socks
  9. The Butter Battle Book
What are you favorite Dr. Suess books? :)

1 comment:

  1. The Lorax is my favorite by far... unfortunately I didn't get a lot of Dr. Seuss exposure since my mom had trouble with pronouncing a lot of the words when I was a kid :)

    ReplyDelete