Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Verbalization

So, remember after Kayla's one year doctor's appointment and I told you I had been a little worried that she wasn't really saying anything that was the form of a word at all?  She was babbling a lot, but nothing in the form or shape of an actual word.

Well, Kayla must have ESP or something because she started "talking" about a week later.  I think a couple of her first words were "off" and "hot," if I remember correctly.  But after a week or two, Justin and I discovered that she would try to mimic our words whatever we said.  I started with feeding her apples for breakfast and she was just saying "apple, apple, apple," now it is one of her favorite words.  She also tried to mimic "purple" at first.

Here is a list of the words she frequently uses now and what they actually sound like:

  • "Buh Buhy" = Bye, Bye (always accompanied by a cute little wave)
  • "Aaaaahhh-ple" = Apple I tried to get this one of video because is HILARIOUS how to draws out the word, I'll keep trying. 
  • "Buy-ber" = Diaper (a new favorite, she walks around repeating this one over and over)
  • "Ha" = Hi 
  • "Haaaaat" = Hot (don't think she quite understands what this one means yet but it's close)
  • "Dada" = Dada obviously, the other morning she walked into the bathroom with me while Justin was showering and said "Ha DaDa."
  • "HaDa" = Hot dog
  • "Dak" = Duck (in the tub mostly)
  • "Ah Da" = All done (I'm thankful for this one because I was afraid she would never actually say any of the words she can sign.)
  • "Poop" = poop clearly.  Usually sounds a little quiet and more like pup.
Those are the main ones I can think of right now.  This age is so much fun.  She understands so much more and I feel like we can really communicate so much better now!  Here's a video of her saying "apple" tonight at dinner.  (You can probably just listen to the first half, I think the second half is useless. ;) )


No comments:

Post a Comment