Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Holy Hormones, Batman!

This motherhood thing is way overwhelming for me.  I told Justin that it probably doesn't help that Kayla wasn't exactly planned and I didn't really feel ready to be a mom.  I know I don't really have a choice but I just think that fact is compounded with the fact that I feel like I'm trying my best and it doesn't seem to be good enough.  And then I feel like my relationship with my husband is slipping because I'm clearly not the woman he married.  It's this whole big nasty circle of feeling crappy.  Not to mention the pain in my "undercarriage" if you know what I mean.

Kayla has been pretty fussy the past few days.  We took her to the doctor yesterday because her breathing has been really labored and she's been spitting up a lot of mucus...or so we thought it was a lot.  Then the doctor told us to try saline nose drops to help clear it out.  This morning, she spit up more mucus (8 times in 2 hours) than I thought a little person her size could even produce!  Hopefully, this means the saline is helping clear everything up and she can get back to being our good little girl and not be as fussy.

I also think she has her days and nights reversed, which is making it very hard for mommy and daddy to get any sleep when she's up for 2-3 hours at night.  Not sure how to fix this.  We are trying to keep her up for longer during the day and keep it bright and do some tummy time to make her know day.  And we are keeping the lights off at bedtime and trying not to stimulate her as much.  Nothing seems to be working.  Hopefully this will get better.

In other news, as a physical therapist, I was SO pumped when Kayla was 8 days old and she "rolled" from her tummy to her back on her own.  I know it was likely a huge fluke as this is WAY too early for anything.  She sure is strong though.  Here's a photo my mom must have photoshopped that I just love.  (P.S. Aunt Meg made us a new header for our blog!)

1 comment:

  1. so Jenna at work said her baby had day and night confused for a while too... Eventually, when you get them on a routine, they adjust. I know that's not reassuring right now... but you guys are doing great!

    ReplyDelete