Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Full Term!!!

Woohoo!  The milestones of pregnancy are so much more exciting in the last month!  Today we are considered full term...so if Baby Hales decides to make his or her debut any day now, the doctors/midwives would just let it happen.

Today we had our appointment with a new midwife who does deliveries, Patricia.  She was really funny and nice and I secretly hope she will be at the hospital with me.  My weight and blood pressure were normal today (thankfully for those of you that know what happened to me last week :) ).  Cervical checks weekly are optional so I thought, why not see how things are going at this point.  Tricia asked if I had been having any contractions...I'm still not sure about this as it feels more like cramping to me.  I was measuring small again today - 35 cm, but within normal limits.

She poked around my belly to try to determine the exact position of the baby (I am REALLY ticklish.)  She was poking quite a bit more than normal and then gave this perplexed face and goes, "Well, I'm sure your baby has a head, I just can't find it!"  "It must be way down in there."  So I guess the baby isn't JUST head down, he/she is WAY down - which might explain the 3-4 weeks of significant pubic bone pressure I've been experiencing.  The only thing that worried me a little during the appointment was she had a hard time hearing the heartbeat, then asked me if it was normally low.  I told her no one has really told me a number, they just keep telling me it's perfect!  But she said it's normally between 110 and 160 and our baby's was 115 and it went up to 130 when she poked at him/her (which I warned her baby does not like.) I'll try to keep the details to a minimum regarding the cervical check, but basically I'm very slightly dilated and 50% effaced and the baby's head isn't quite lining up right yet.  I'm so excited.  I'm not sure that this necessarily signifies any expected D-day for the little one, but it's a little more exciting to know a little bit more.  She is the first midwife to tell me to actually do a kick count.  I've been sorta keeping track but maybe I'll try to be more concrete about it now - starting tonight.

Oh, also, Tricia is an Ohio State fan and said they she sometimes brings OSU booties for her moms that are fans and for the Michigan fans, just to piss them off! :)  I told her about our family tradition of Hang on Sloopy at weddings.  I think she likes me!

Here are a few of my favorite maternity photos from our shoot with Rachel Naft!



P.S. I've decided I'd rather be dealing with a crying baby than all my whiney patients, so please come quickly Baby.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome, looking forward to the introductions.

    ReplyDelete