Friday, February 17, 2012

Because Every Day Should Be About Love...

Happy Belated Valentine's Day!

I know a lot of people dislike Valentine's Day, but I'm not really one of them.  I believe that you should make it a point to show the people you love that you love them more than just a few special days a year, but I do love that it's so focused on that one day.

I love that Valentine's Day is about more than just your significant other.  For me, it's about Justin and Kayla mostly, but it's also about my wonderful family and my fantastic friends.  Now, I don't get to see or talk to my friends all that often, but I can assure you that I think about them often.  My best friend and roommate from college makes it a point to text me on all holidays.  This is such a simple gesture, but she probably has no idea how much it means to me.  I really wish there were more days in the year to spend with my friends from college and all other times in my life.  (I wish there were more time for a lot of things!)

Something else I've been thinking about this week is learning to love myself.  This may sound a little odd, but I've realized this week that there are so many things about other people in my life, certain traits or talents, that I find myself thinking "Man, I wish I were that good at [blank]" or "I wish I were more [blank]."  I have really got to stop thinking that and start focusing my life on the things I am good at and cherishing my positive traits and qualities.  Not that I ever want to stop learning and growing, but there are just some things I may never be good at and I shouldn't be upset about that.

Valentine's Day was luckily a Tuesday so I got to spend the day at home with Kayla.  She was cranky.  Like, really cranky.  But she napped pretty well.  Justin came home from work for lunch and brought me some very cute earrings that I would never have thought he could pick out (he knows me very well.)  We drove to Milwaukee to spend some time with family at the Marquette women's basketball game.  It wasn't the perfect day that most people would hope for on Valentine's Day, but it was still special to me.

In the words of Justin Beiber from Kayla's singing Valentine bear (which she seriously loves.  We have to hide him "in bed"):

You know you love me.  I know you care.
Just shout whenever, and I'll be there.
You are my love.  You are my heart.
And we will never, ever, ever be apart.

She wasn't completely unhappy, but she did cry for about an hour and I couldn't console her.

Mom, I want that camera lens cover.

Finally.

Heart butt black & white. :)

There's my happy, laughing baby!



No comments:

Post a Comment