Saturday, September 8, 2012

Birthing Experience

I've been watching "A Baby Story" on TLC this week.  (I don't know, maybe trying to get in the mood?) :)  One I watched the other day had this woman who was so upset about the birth experience she had with her son and she was trying to refuse any and all induction suggestions by her midwife, at 42 weeks mind you.

Now, it wasn't the fact that she was trying to refuse an induction that bothered me.  I just really don't understand how people can be SO upset, like traumatized, by their birthing experience.  I mean, I guess some really crappy things could happen but look at what comes out of it?

See, my birth experience with Kayla wasn't exactly how I wanted it to be.  I didn't think my water would break first and I would have to go to the hospital right away.  I for sure wasn't hoping to have back labor, get no sleep and feel like I had to get an epidural in order not to put myself or Kayla in distress.  And it certainly would have been nice not to tear, especially in the direction I did.  But you know what, I really don't care.  I got Kayla out of it.

With this baby, yes, I'd like to go into labor without my water breaking and get to be at home and eat, shower, and nap if I can.  I'd love to not feel like I have to get an epidural.  I'd love to only be in labor at the hospital for a short amount of time, not have to push much, and not tear at all.  But I'm not writing up a birth plan.  Because it just doesn't really matter that much to me.

I just don't understand why the process it takes to get there is so much more important than the outcome to so many people.

1 comment: