Sunday, November 18, 2012

Halloween 2012 Part 2

Sorry it's been a while.  Me and the kids had a rough week this last week.  Kayla was sick a week ago Saturday, and since then things have gone a little downhill.  Brody either is super gassy or got sick from Kayla or both since he hasn't been napping all that well and has been quite a bit more fussy than his usual happy, content self.  I got tired of Kayla wanting her pacifier all the time so I randomly decided to take it away from her last week and then 2 days later decided to give potty training a go.  So needless to say, big changes lead to busy days with little sleep.

I did want to finish posting about Halloween before our next big holiday though.  Then I have a few ideas for blog posts this week, even if they are just quick random thoughts (which I may make a new "thing" on my blog, because I tend to have a lot of them.).

So after we went to the pumpkin patch, Justin and I carved pumpkins with Kayla on night when he got home from work.  Next year, I'm thinking we need to do something a little more toddler friendly with paints or something a la Young House Love (if you follow their blog you know what I mean.)  Nevertheless, it was successful.  Kayla was very interested but didn't want to touch the pumpkin innards...no surprise there as she a little OCD about keeping her hands clean.  I mentioned I didn't like the smell of the pumpkin guts to Justin and he knows I have a pretty bad gag reflex so he volunteered to take out all the crap.  Little did we know, Kayla gets more from me than just her good looks (I kid).  She was dry heaving while trying to help Daddy clean out the pumpkins.  Highlight of the night: Justin saying, "She's gonna barf!"  (She didn't.)

This is what Brody did while we carved pumpkins.




What do you  mean my spoon doesn't fit???



My little pumpkins with my little pumpkin. :) (Kayla's on the left, Brody's on the right.)



#parentingfail Sharp objects in toddler's hand...


Our little pumpkin family, we were too lazy to carve and de-gut Justin's big pumpkin.

  And then the day before Halloween, I decided it was about time to try to make my kids costumes so we could go trick-or-treating with Kayla's friend, M.  Kayla was going to be minnie mouse with a homemade tutu (found by aunt Meg) and Brody was going to be popcorn (Pinterest inspired.)

I had gone to Joann Fabrics to buy red tulle, white felt, white fabric and red felt for their costumes.  We also stopped at the Halloween store to buy Kayla some mouse ears and Kohl's for a plain black t-shirt.

Kayla's Costume:

  • Red tulle
  • White felt for polka dots on skirt
  • Elastic band
  • Mouse ears
  • Black tights (with pink tights layered underneath if you live somewhere cold. :))
  • Black shirt
  • Ideally red sparkly shoes but silver worked for us.
I used a no-sew tutu tutorial for the skirt.  There are tons of tutorials but this is basically what I did.  It didn't turn out exactly as I had planned.  The tulle was hard to cut in strips, the skirt was a little more full than I wanted and the white felt dots I cut didn't stay on that well with my last minute solution of packing tape, but it was alright, and cheap.  Kayla pulled most of the dots off by the end of the night.





Brody's Costume:
  • Baby carrier (previously owned.)
  • White fabric of any kind (the cheap kind :))
  • Red felt
  • White or pale colored hat
  • Popcorn
His costume was super easy.  Cut red felt into strips and cut out letters in the word "popcorn."  Glue stripes and letters onto white fabric and attach to front of carrier.  Glue popcorn to baby hat.  Slap on baby and hope baby falls asleep while trick or treating. :)


Why yes I did use binder clips to attach my fabric to my carrier. :)



And yes, I did have Kayla use a Lululemon bag for trick or treating. :)
So until tomorrow, I promise... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment